This is an annual competition that I have participated in for the past 5 years. I have won twice and have been nominated twice. I would love to rank this year. Please vote for my team, Aura, with the … Continue reading
This was such a fun photo shoot! We really wanted to show off color in a way that we haven’t ever done before. With this mirror image/twin/evil twin theme we were able to show off all angles of the hair. … Continue reading
I had so much fun with my old friends and meeting new ones! Steve Wampler, the photographer that I work with frequently, and I had an idea to do a fun 1960’s shoot about a year ago. We finally manifested … Continue reading
I am so excited to share Bella Salon & Spa Style Team’s latest project, the Bridal Collection. We are using these photos to show off our skills on our website and social media. Our new owner requested we do a … Continue reading
This is my second year to enter NAHA. This is my experience. What is NAHA? The North American Hairstyling Awards is one of the most prestigious hair photography competitions. There are 14 categories including Avant Garde, Make-up Artist of the … Continue reading
Austin Fashion Week 2014 is Thursday, April 24th through Saturday, May 3rd. It has many components such as runway shows featuring local designers, brunches and cocktail hours for exposure and networking, and the unique Mash-up Team Competition. My favorite part, the event … Continue reading
Sunday February 16th 2014 was a beautiful day for a photo shoot. We had such a great crew! Photographer Ainslee Virdell Models: Alyssa Jimenez Hannah Santibanez Leo Salvador Lexi Solon Laura Price Maria Blandin Miranda Borreggo Nicole Zuehl Stylists: Ashley … Continue reading
A couple weeks ago, I put together a Valentine’s/Prom photo-shoot. I rounded up models, hairstylists, makeup artists and a photographer. I made a story board of the head-shots of the models and an inspirational collage. This is a great visual … Continue reading
Reasons Why the High Top Knot Bun is Amazing
1. It’s a great way to look polished in a short amount of time
2. Gives you some height
3. You can do this on dirty hair so it helps spread out your shampoos
4. Great for keeping your hair out if your face (windy day, busy day, or special occasion)
1. Flip your head over and create a ponytail on top of your head using a soft bristle brush and a hair tie (I like using a bungee- a rubberband with a bobby pin on one side and a hair pin on the other) this will be your anchor.
2. Use a piece of tool that is similar to your hair color. You can find this at fabric stores. Cut it into a rectangle 8 inches by 4 inches (or you can buy a bun maker from Clair’s, CVS, or any grocery store… boring). Bobby pin this around the base of your ponytail. This will add some drama to your bun.
3. Use Dry Texture Spray by Oribe on your ends. This is like back combing in a bottle. Next, create a soft cushion by teasing your pontytail with a soft bristle brush. My favorite, the Mason Pearson, is pretty expensive but you can find similar brushes at Target or Sally’s.
4. The part that will take the most practice is the swirling motion that it takes to wrap the around the tool and create the perfect shape. Think cotton candy. Be patient and keep trying. Once you get it where you want it- pin it! I like using hair pins because they are lightweight and don’t disturb the fabric of the hair. Don’t be afraid to use black pins in any color of hair. Once you get good at hiding them they look like shadows and don’t reflect light in photos.
5. Finish with hairspray. My favorite for build-able hold and a matte finish is Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Hairspray.
From the Runway to Ready to Wear I’m feeling inspired by Chanel Haute Couture at Paris Fashion Week 2014!!! It is definitely a fashion forward look but you can make it more casual by using thinner lines and doubling up … Continue reading